Homeschooling ABCs Lesson B

August 10, 2009 by Terri Leave a reply »

Hi there,

Happy Monday!  Welcome back to the August Spectacular.  My two sons (Levi in front of the camera and Brady behind the camera) joined me to create a quick 46 second video to touch base with you.

Please remember that these lessons are completely free - there are no strings attached.  However, if you want to be included in the drawing on September 1st to win the full course, all 27 lessons, then we ask that you take a moment out of your week to post your thoughts on each lesson here on my blog.  There will be 25 winners for the full course and 10 runner up prizes.

Some people had trouble receiving the lesson last week, so I am giving you a little extra time (say 48 hours) to post about Lesson A on the blog post below (/blog/2009/08/homeschooling-abcs-lesson-a/).  You can post about this second lesson, Lesson B, right here.  Remember to get this done before next Monday at noon EST.  It only takes a minute to post and your comments are so appreciated!!

If you haven’t received your second lesson yet, then check your in-box.  You will receive it before 3:00pm EST.  Please add my email address - terri@homeschoolingabcs.com - to your inbox to keep it from disappearing into your spam or junk mail folders.

Have a great day and I will see you next week,

Terri

Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • MySpace
  • Digg
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • TwitThis

179 Responses

1. Julie Carlisle says:

I agree with the focus being all about prayer and scripture reading. It’s even more important now than ever. It’s one of the reasons I choose to homeschool. Thanks! :)

2. Danielle says:

I love the reminder to base our “school” on Jesus and his teachings.

3. Dawn Wathen says:

It is so refreshing to be inspired and reminded of the important things in homeschooling…prayer is KEY, and if we are doing it within ourselves without inspiration and surrender to God then it is all for naught. THANKS for being there for us…I pray God give me the ability to be everything I need to be for my five children I am homeschooling and that I be blessed to be able to continue your course.

God Bless Always!!!

4. Wendy says:

I had no idea that this information would be available to me and my family. My husband definitely wants to be a part of educating our boys and having him do the Bible time is such a great idea. Especially since we have boys…what a great model. It was funny to see that you assigned the 3 Rs by R. Beechick because a friend of mine who has been homeschooling for a long time gave them to me a week and a half ago so I had already gotten to read most of the books. They seem to be so doable, but my boys are not ready yet. I really appreciate this time to be VERY prepared when the time comes. The circle time is going excellent and we have read books, prayed, sang and next are hoping to try one of the games you included. Thank you again! Blessings to you and your family.

5. Linda says:

Thank you for this. I’ve been looking for a way to incorporate Bible study into our day. I love the way Foundations breaks down the study by week. This will really help us dive into the Lord’s word even better.

6. Helisa says:

Thank you. Yes, the Bible is the foundation!

7. Frances says:

It has been wonderful to read this article it has helped me to refocus. Reminding me that bring “School” home is not really what it is all about.. making the Bible central and learning about what a wonderful God we have is the core of learning. Thanks!

8. Cynthia Graven says:

It is absolutely true that the Bible must be the foundation of our homeschool. I am also pleased that you mentioned the need to TEACH character-deliberately and with a plan. I recently left a small private Christian school, where, despite repeated requests from teachers to facilitate school-wide character training, including teaching and rewarding, no character curriculum was provided. The teaching of it was hit-and-miss, as the already overworked teachers could fit it in. As you might expect, the practice of virtuous attitudes and behaviors was hit-and-miss, as the untaught children accidentally displayed it. What I love about this lesson is that you clearly understand that the Bible is not only the foundation for a good homeschool, it is the foundation for teaching and learning excellent character, because it is the foundation for a Spirit-led life, as God’s righteousness is formed in His children.

I can hardly wait to get started, as the Lord is using your lessons to whet my appetite for teaching and to nudge the flow of my creative juices. God is good.

9. LE says:

I am a single mom with to boys 14 and 11. I am really liking the idea of the the Bible and prayer time be the center. As for character-building I have made that a major point in raising my children and I love that you have brought it forward to remind parents that character is learned. Thanks for the study.

10. Lynne says:

There is so much in so few pages and the comments are great to learn from as well. It is great to have the list of games for circle time all in one place. We don’t do them first thing but the toddler and preschooler love it when they can join the “students” in their activities.

11. Vicki Feaster says:

Thanks for the extra information, including the sample Bible study!

12. Karen Johnson says:

I really liked the ideas about the importance of praise under Basic #2-Character Training c)Reward good behavior…with praise, verbal or written. I love the suggestion to “Use the power of your words to effect positive change in your children’s lives.” That was quite encouraging to me.
    My 13-year-old son, who has some special needs, was baptized a few weeks ago, along with some of the other kids and teens in the special needs ministry at our church. I think that all the love and joy surrounding this made a strong, positive impression on him. His main Sunday School teacher told me that this Sunday he came into the room and said,”I’m out of control today,” and she said,”Great! Now would be a good time for you to work on self-control then.” He thought about it and said,”Yea..aaa.” (Like,”I’m not so sure about that, but I’ll try.”) She told me that she could tell that he was using self-control the rest of the class time, and she was very proud of him. It made me feel so good to hear about this.
    Back to Lesson B…I also greatly appreciated the practical suggestions for things to do during Morning Circle Time, such as singing, instrument-playing, worship, prayer, exercise, and games (and it even included ideas for four specific games, which I found very helpful).
    I have bought and am reading a few books about homeschooling, and two of my favorites have to do with virtues/character education. I would highly recommend both of them for anyone who is interested in these types of books. They are:
    (1) Core Virtues:A Literature-based program in character education, K-6, by Mary Beth Klee
    (This book is based on the Core Knowledge program, but it can easily be used by anyone interested in combining character education and literature.)
    (2) Books That Build Character:A Guide to Teaching Your Children Moral Values Through Stories, by William Kilpatrick and Gregory and Suzanne M. Wolfe

13. Jennifer says:

I really enjoyed this second lesson … it’s helpful to be reminded of the basics when there is so much curriculum, styles, etc. out there vying for our attention! I especially enjoyed the extras that came with the lesson … thanks!

14. sherry g. says:

One of the things that we have struggled with most during our tenure as home educators is developing that consistent morning routine. My “old nature” wants to be left alone to do as I “feel” at the moment or see fit for that particular day. While it is certainly necessary to remain flexible and open to God’s plan for the day, He is a God of order and our days do move more smoothly when everyone knows what is expected and what comes next. My prayer is to begin anew in discipling my children in establishing an order for the day and then sticking with it. Just another thought…we have come to associate “discipline” with “discipling.” Same word origins and implied meanings. Training our children in the way they should go (i.e. in the nurture and admonition of the Lord) is discipling them in the ways of the Lord. That is what we do…discipline is what we are developing in them as a measurable fruit of the Spirit. They are being Spirit-filled so that they might be Spirit-led and empowered to make the right choices and grow in the knowledge and grace of the Lord Jesus Christ. God’s Word is profitable for teaching, correction, reproof, instruction in righteousness…it is our position that “this” is what discipline and discipling is all about. Discipline is not exclusively punishment, but it does include both the positive and negative consequences of our behavior. Those consequences are both necessary in order for the proper laying of the foundation for positive behavior choices. Appreciate very much the reminder that God’s Word is not “a” subject in school, but rather “the” subject upon which all others are based.
    Thanks again for food for thought and practical daily application to our homeschools!

15. Renee says:

Since I have been homeschooling for awhile, I’ve sat and nodded my head at so much of what you’ve written. But I’ve been thinking at the same time about how I USE to do that. I’ve forgotten about the simple, most meaningful things in school life. And making it fun too!! Starting our day with prayer and reading God’s Word is what we have been missing these last couple years. We need a new routine for starting our day. Thank you for the reminder.

16. sandy says:

I would have to agree that these reminders are just as much affirmation as they are information. It is great to remember to keep first things first and to set the atmosphere of our whole day by committing it to the Lord. thanks for your organized and thoughtful lessons. :)

17. Candace S says:

Great, great, great!

18. Melissa says:

I absolutely LOVE circle time! Any time that attitudes get out of control, or things are getting chaotic, we come back to our blanket and talk out what we need to do and pray over whatever issue we’re having. It is amazing and is improving my children’s prayers, too!

19. Mrs. Hewett says:

Again, an excellent lesson! I’m still fine tuning our plans for the school year and this lesson helped remind me to keep it simple. Thank you Terri.

20. Gay Taunton says:

Yes prayer…we begin each day with corporate prayer and it puts me in the right heart/mind mode for school. I hope it also models prayer and worship for my daughter.

Thanks Terri for bringing us to what really matters.

21. Nancy says:

I really enjoyed this week. Ichecked with my library and to my suprise no one ever heard of Ruth Beechick. But yet they had Mcguffey educational series.

22. Karen Craft says:

I love your suggestions for the circle time! It would be such a great way to start the day. I will probably need to set a timer so we don’t go over.

23. Denise says:

Emphasis on daily devotions as a family is a must! I especially like having it be Dad-led; that doesn’t get to happen in our home. Time in prayer should be modeled for our children and encouraging them to pray for each other as well is so important. Developing a daily routine is ESSENTIAL for homeschoolers so that we all don’t live under the “tyranny of the urgent.” The Beechick books are excellent–a must-read for any beginning HS family.

24. Lillian says:

Can you believe that as a first timer…my head swimming with this curriculum and that perfect set of filers, etc…I totally blanked out these vital basics. I’m a bit ashamed.

Basics #1-3 are firmly rooted in my heart,mind, and agenda now.

I was glad to find Ruth Beechick’s book at my library which combines all three of your recommended reads since they didn’t have them as separate books.

25. Michelle says:

Great reminders for what we should be putting first as the most important part of our day. One of the great advantages of homeschooling is that we can CONSISTENTLY work on building character in our kids, without having it undermined for the better part of the day.

26. Charlie says:

kqpublishing.org to GoogleReader!

27. Carla says:

Now in our 5th year of school at home I find that my “basic” reasons for homeschooling are somewhat different than when we started.
    God’s Word and our childrens’ Character of of primary importance as we plan the structure for our basic academic instruction.

28. Deb says:

I love the idea of Husband teaching the Word. It’s an encouragment for my family.

29. Debbie says:

Character development is an area we need to work on. I appreciated the reminder that it’s a heart issue - not a matter of blind obedience. The link to the Values Driven Family looks like a great resource to help us on our journey.