Homeschooling ABCs - Lesson A

August 3, 2009 by Terri Leave a reply »

I am so pleased that you have decided to join us for the month of August as we give away the first 5 lessons of the Homeschooling ABCs class.  We hope that you enjoy them.

(If you are reading this and wondering how you can get signed up for free lessons, I do apologize, but the sign-up window has closed.  Maybe we will do this again in the future, so stay posted by subscribing to our newsletter list.  You can do so on the KQ home page here - www.kqpublishing.org.)

If you would like to be included in our drawing on September 1st to win the rest of the course (all 27 lessons), then we ask that you simply post your thoughts each week after you read the lesson.  Please post your comment before 12 noon EST of the following Monday.  So, in other words, you may post here about Lesson A until Monday, August 10th at 12 noon EST.

You do not have to post if you do not want to participate in the drawing.  (By the way, if you want to see the whole list of lessons covered to help you decide if you want to participate or not, you can read the list of classes on Meredith Curtis’ blog here - http://www.takerootandwrite.com/2009/05/homeschooling-a.html.)

Now, about your first post… please comment on what you liked about the class and/or what nugget of information you can use and apply this upcoming school year.  This first lesson is especially geared toward brand new homeschooling parents who are just getting started, but even seasoned homeschoolers can usually find something that makes them sit up and say, “Hmmm… I think that I will try that this year and see how it goes.”

I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Have a great week!

Terri

Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • MySpace
  • Digg
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • TwitThis

337 Responses

1. Lynne says:

Even though we’ve been at it for a while, it is good to think back on why we are doing what we are doing and how every aspect of our day is a learning experience. I need to return to getting lots of books on a topic of “delight” for all their ages. I really liked calling it a “delight directed study.” We all need to remember to enjoy our interests with the delight of a young student. Thank you for this reminder.

2. Joanne says:

I never thought of starting the stay with circle time. We always start our day with reading. I think doing a circle time first would be a great way to start the day out on a positive note before we all sat down for reading time! Great idea!

3. Lillian says:

I like the tip on circle time! I’ve never done that before with my kids, and think that its a great idea to start our day together! Thanks!

4. Rachel says:

I have been homeschooling for two years now but I am hoping to start this year with a little more organization and structure on my part. The first lesson has already been helpful in advising circle time as a way to start the day and giving suggestions on how to use circle time. I’m looking forward to the next lessons and becoming more confident as a homeschooling parent!

5. Jen says:

i loved the reminder to ENJOY my children! sometimes i forget to do that! great tip–circle time haven’t thought of that before. blessings, jen in al

6. Sundae Woodall says:

I have been homeschooling awhile, but I still found some interesting things in this lesson. I have never used unit studies, but want to with my younger children. I look forward to learning more about how to do “delight driven” learning with them. Thank you.

7. Lynda says:

It is so good of you to provide these lessons. We have only been homeschooling for 2 years and I still have difficulty. Thank you so much.

8. Jennifer says:

A reminder to enjoy our children is HUGE! I thank you for that wonderful insight!! Also starting the day with circle time is a wonderful idea!! I am going to implement that this year!

9. Martha Huber says:

So, we started circle time this week. What a blessing! This morning, first thing, my 2 1/2 year old brought me my bible and said it was circle time…and we just started this on Monday. Thank you for the great idea!

10. Jackie says:

Thank you so much for these lessons! I appreciate the reminder that we should continue to read to children of all ages - not just the non-readers.

11. Renee says:

The reminder to have fun while learning is just what I needed. We have been hs’ing for 11 yrs and it’s getting dry. I need a fresh start this year with my kiddos. Reading and playing with a couple unit studies is what we will begin with this year. Thanks!

12. Bonnie Sue Walker says:

Although I am a seasoned homeschool mom, I like the idea of “circle time” and also just to take a day to relax and have fun with the kids and go out more. Sometimes I get bogged down with the nitty-gritty of it, and forget to just have some fun! Thanks for the reminders.

13. Cynthia B. says:

Thank you for spending your time to help fellow homeschooling families! I really like your idea of having circle time first thing in the morning. Thanks, again.

14. Elizabeth says:

I happen to like all of your suggestions. I think it’s essential for first timers to have a place to start and you’ve given that. I too, like the others, think circle time is a great idea. We always would start with prayer, but I think adding to it like you suggested, will keep it fun for the kids and interesting for me to hear the thoughts maybe running through their heads!!

15. Emily says:

Thank you so much for providing these first lessons to get a taste of homeschooling how-to’s in a less overwhelming way than an entire book waiting for me to find time to digest it. I was interested to know more about the delight directed approach and to realize we’re actually already doing some of that in the way we select library books on our daughter’s interests, getting a lot of books at a time, so it seems natural to consider doing unit studies. I really like your ideas for starting out our day with some structure, with circle time followed by reading time, since I’ve been feeling a need for more structure as we’ve started our Kindergarten year with a relaxed approach, but like you said, we’ll be flexible. I hadn’t thought about cognitively starting with non-fiction…hmm. I like the idea of using spelling words right out of the copywork right from their reading (could be memory verse, too) - great tie in. I was thinking of using a stenopad or other journal for copywork, as my daughter loves using them, but I like the copywork templates you included, too, thank you. Thanks again for all the great reminders, too many to note, but specically about the relationship building! Oh, I’m being asked to read a book - don’t you just love it!! :-)

16. Sheryl says:

I like the straitght-forward tactics and making it less scary for new home schoolers!

17. Amy says:

Thank you for all of tips. I purchased curriculum but will use your ideas to keep school fun and interesting.

18. Michele Chamblee says:

I really enjoyed what you had to say bout delight-driven study. I’ve chosen a curriculum this year that has lots of options and this was an excellent reminder for me to stop and explore when there is genuine interest. That’s the flexibility that I am trying to achieve not just in homschooling, but in life. Thank you.

19. Sherry says:

I have been homeschooling for 14 years and this lesson is right on the money. This is the same advice that I have been passing on to new homeschoolers for years. It is always encouraging to hear this kind of good common sense advice because we all tend to get ‘information overload’ when we peruse the catalogs. Thanks for the affirmation, Terri!

20. Danielle says:

I love the reminder to get the kids, and myself, outside!

21. Marcy Taggart says:

I love this program. It is so easy to read and down to earth. I feel like Terri’ friend when I read the lessons. I have read all 3lessons and am going to apply your tactics. I am much more comfortable with my choice to homeschool my 1st grader and feel I have help along the way if I need it. I find myself waiting for Mondays to come!

22. Sharon says:

We are really enjoying the simplicity of the lessons. The pressure to achieve is off and we can just relax and enjoy learning together. Thanks

23. Karen Craft says:

I have been homeschooling for years and I think your approach to teaching about how to homeschool is very good. I like your step by step approach to it. I think your idea of the family circle to start the day is very good. I expect to find many helpful ideas. I started working full-time just about the time these lessons started coming and am a little behind but I am looking forward to the next ones. Thank you so much.

24. Candace S says:

The information in these lessons is very valuable!

25. Melissa says:

Since I only have children under 5, much of the information was not necessary for me, but I did enjoy getting my thoughts going about why I’m choosing to homeschool.

Thank you for the lesson!

26. Denise says:

These are excellent basics for a starting homeschool family to grasp and use to direct their days. I wish I had had this type of input when I started 9 years ago! We did do “Skittles” math, which was my children’s favorite! Also, while setting the table, math can be done by playing a game of “What if we had company and X more people were to come?” “How many more forks would we need? etc.

27. patricia says:

I have a 4 yr old and feel that I should home school him. He has been in therapy school since he was 11 months old and is now out of it and into an ABC program. I kinda feel robbed a little, you know, want the best for him but wanting him home too.

I read your first lesson praying that it would give me that nudge I needed to take him out of the public system and all the negatives there. Thank you, you make it seem so easy. I know that it will not be easy all of the time but I like your ideas and know that I can incorporate them into my life.

I will be reading lesson two and three tomorrow as I was just able to download them correctly tonight.
    Thank you again.

28. Lillian says:

While reading the different steps I picked up on a theme…enjoy your children! It’s not so much me doing everything perfectly.

The “perfection” burden has left the building!

29. Carla says:

These are great tips and I’m glad to note that I have used many of these in our previous years of learning together.
    As for circle time (we call it morning devotion and prayer time) I totally agree that starting the day together with God sets just the right tone for the rest of the day!

30. Andrea says:

K.I.S.S. Keep it simple sweetie!! You sure have done that in this lesson. Homeschooling can be so overwhelming, especially to someone just getting started. While this was great to read as a veteran of seven years, I can also wholeheartedly recommend it to a newbie as well. We have enjoyed copywork for a long time. Thanks for the reminder of its benefits.

31. Lorie says:

I am not a new homeschooler, but am “restarting” with 2 preschoolers. My older ones are high school and middle school aged and we have homeschooled from the beginning. But, I feel like I need to get back to the basics of why we homeschool as I start these two little guys and am enjoying this series. I feel reassured that we are doing ok and am gleaning some new ideas for all 4 kids, especially the circle time - I love this idea!

32. Carol Emmert says:

Thanks for the encouragement to start the year by enjoying learning with our children. Our summer was hectic and I needed the reminder of WHY we’re homeschooling.

33. Alexia says:

I have been considering starting with circle time — we have usually started with independent activities. This morning we did and everyone came together and worked much better, even when they went off to their independent work!

34. Kristina says:

These are great suggestions in Lesson 1, Terri! I’m looking forward to using these and in the lessons to come! We use the “delight-learning” for the younger kids and have hundred of books around here. We’re blessed to have a church “thrift shop” here, where all the books are free, and lots of schooling books are available sometimes, too. :-)

35. Kellyann says:

I will definately be incpropration exercise time into our circle time. I hadn’t thought of that and with an infant (almost 6 mo.) I haven’t been able to stick to my exercise goals as I’d liked. Now maybe it will work out.

36. Sandra Reade says:

I am late getting started due to not reading emails quick enough!
    Although we have some differences to getting started in our different countries, I am so glad I don’t have to go through the exemption process again. We start our day with a sort of circle time of sorts and do a devotion during this time. My girls and I love that and the lessons we learn.
    Assignment 1. I do need to work on my relationships with the girls because I find that as I am with them 24/7 I don’t set aside special one on one time with them often enough. Thanks for the reminder.